Please forward widely.

Elisabeth Crum

Public Programs & Outreach Manager

Sewall-Belmont House & Museum
144 Constitution Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002
(202) 546-1210 x17

www.sewallbelmont.org
Join the Historic National Woman's Party!

Web Site Banner

Celebrate the 90th Anniversary of Suffrage with the Sewall-Belmont House & Museum

August 26, 2010

On August 26, 1920, the 19th Amendment Guaranteed Women Right to Vote

Alice Paul unfurls the Ratification Banner at NWP headquarters.

Alice Paul unfurls the Ratification Banner at NWP headquarters.

On August 18, 1920, one man, Harry Burn, changed his vote in the Tennessee state legislature from a "Nay" vote to an "Aye" vote and Tennessee became the 36th and final state needed to ratify the 19th Amendment enfranchising women. While it was one man's vote at the urging of his mother: "don't forget to be a good boy and help Mrs. Catt put the "rat" in ratification,"  that officially secured the 19th amendment, it took years of hard work, dedication and sacrifice from a cadre of women to make the right to vote a reality. As we celebrate the 90th Anniversary of woman suffrage, we thank the men who ratified the amendment, but more importantly we pay a special tribute to the thousands of women who gave everything they had for the right to vote.

The fight for suffrage became an organized and public struggle in the U.S. following the Seneca Falls Convention in 1848. Prominent leaders such as Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucy Stone, Sojourner Truth, Lucretia Mott, and Susan B. Anthony began campaigning for the right to vote at state and federal levels. Years of hard work led to woman suffrage in only a few states, and new leaders such as Carrie Chapman Catt, Ida B. Wells-Barnett, and Harriet Stanton Blatch arose as the original leaders began to pass away.

In 1912 a 27 year old woman named Alice Paul journeyed to Washington to take over the Congressional campaign of the National American Women's Suffrage Association. She was supposedly to perform the symbolic duty of requesting that Congress introduce the 19th amendment each year, and operated on a budget of $10. By March of 1913, an elaborate march on Washington, DC, was held and suffrage started to become a national issue. Months more of campaigning led to enfranchisement in a few more states, but after several deputations to the President, regular lobbying pressure on Congress, and efforts to defeat the Democrats - the party in power - in the 1914 and 1916 elections, Alice Paul, Lucy Burns, and other leaders of the National Woman's Party (NWP) were disappointed with the lack of progress made on suffrage. In 1917, the NWP took the bold step of picketing the White House for the first time in the history of the nation. When the U.S. entered World War I, the pickets held banners demanding to know why the president would fight for democracy abroad while denying it at home. The pickets were ignored at first, then arrested and released, then arrested and sentenced. Sentencing of the pickets led to outrage and charges of political imprisonment. Dissatisfied with their government, the prisoners went on hunger strikes and were force fed, to the growing shock of a nation fighting a war abroad and looking for peace and democracy at home.

Agitation of Congress and the White House by more than 100 women prisoners and even more pickets along with the national press focus on the issue of suffrage finally worked in favor of women, and the 19th Amendment was sent to the states to ratify. Tennessee did become the 36th state to ratify the Amendment which was officially added to the Constitution of the United States on August 26, 1920, but the state legislature is not the hero in this story, nor is Harry Burn. The heroes of suffrage are the generations of women and girls who gave their lives, their fortunes, their time, and their hearts to the cause. On this 90th Anniversary, remember the many women who made woman suffrage a reality for American women today.

Just in time for Women's Equality Day! Suffrage Supplies at CafePress!

I Heart Alice Tote at CafePress

I Heart Alice Paul Tote, CafePress

Votes for Women Apron from CafePress

Votes for Women Apron, CafePress

Nina Allender Mug at CafePress

Nina Allender Mug, CafePress

The Sewall-Belmont House & Museum is excited to announce three new apparel and gift lines available at our CafePress website starting today. Visit our website or click on the images above to start shopping! Proceeds will benefit the preservation and education efforts at the Museum.

Show your love for suffrage today!

Real Simple Magazine Mention

See our press mention on page 14 in Real Simple Magazine

90 years ago, women in America finally won the right to vote...

Celebrate the 90th anniversary of suffrage with us by honoring an influential woman in your life!

We are collecting donations and photos to show the trajectory of inspiring women through history. The online exhibit goes live today, but we are collecting photos through December!

Click here for details.

Cirque du Soleil's OvoSpecial Gift for Friends of the Museum

Cirque du Soleil's latest touring production OVO is hitting Washington D.C. starting Thursday, September 9th, 2010, and friends of the Sewall-Belmont House & Museum can receive 15% off select performances!

OVO will perform for a limited engagement under the trademark blue-and-yellow Grand Chapiteau (Big Top) at The Plateau at National Harbor.

Click here for this offer!

Jeannette Rankin

Jeannette Rankin, First Woman in Congress

In honor of the 90th Anniversary of women's suffrage, the Sewall-Belmont House & Museum is proud to announce the opening of our new online exhibit honoring inspiring women in the lives of many.

View the exhibit today!

 Save the Date! September 22nd: Alice Award Luncheon

We are proud to announce that the 2010 Alice Award will be presented to the Honorable Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House, recognizing her as the first female Speaker of the House and the highest ranking female politician.
Nancy Pelosi

September 22, 2010

101 Constitution Ave NW

For more information about the 2010 Alice Award luncheon, please click here.

Donate Now

Members receive free or reduced admission for programs throughout the year and other benefits.

House THumbnail

Want to join the conversation and stay up-to-date on all the programs, events, exhibits, and news about the Sewall-Belmont House & Museum?

Find us on Facebook

 Follow us on Twitter

About Sewall-Belmont House & Museum

The Sewall-Belmont House & Museum on Capitol Hill explores the evolving role of women and their contributions to society through the continuing, and often untold, story of women's pursuit for equality. The museum is the headquarters of the historic National Woman's Party and was the Washington home of its founder and Equal Rights Amendment author Alice Paul. Visit our website to learn more.

[log in to unmask]&a=1103599686093&id=preview&id=preview" target="_blank">Forward email

Sewall-Belmont House and Museum | 144 Constitution Ave., NE | Washington | DC | 20002