Kevin,

Sound domes work by focusing the sound straight down onto the listener's ears.  This allows the volume to be reduced and thus reduces the "spill-over" of the sound.  We offer various sizes with 30" diameter being the largest and is good for a small group of 3 - 4 people in relatively close proximity.  You could possibly use 4 of them ( 2 x 2) and viewers could congregate under them.  Depending on whether the film is front or rear projected you would also need to consider the fact that they should be hung at about 8' and could interfere with the projection.

Since the room is not that big you might consider some conventional type speaker and use a sound baffle at the entrance if possible.
 -Mark-

 * Mark Fowle, Partner
 * SIGNAL-INNOVA
 * 2841 East 19th Street
 * Signal Hill, CA 90755
 * Email: mailto:mark@exhibitsalive.com
 * http://www.SIGNAL-INNOVA.com/
 * Phone: (800) 417-9060
 * Fax: (800) 773-7694

Kevin Murphy wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Dear List,

For an upcoming exhibition of a contemporary artist, we are showing a film with soundtrack and would like to minimize the transmission of the sound throughout the rest of the gallery.  The artist suggested that we look into using a "sound dome".  I'm wondering if anyone on the list has experience with these for this type of application and could let me know how they work and perhaps recommend a vendor?  The film will be shown in a room approximately 15 x 20 feet, so small groups will be able to view it.

And, thank you in advance Retired Librarian Barbara Hass, but I have already searched the google for sound domes, and am simply interested in hearing from anyone who has first-hand experience with them.

You may reply to me off list if you wish at [log in to unmask]

Regards,
Kevin Murphy
Bradford and Christine Mishler Associate Curator of American Art
The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens
San Marino, CA