Generally we allow interns and volunteers to handle art (and other objects) if they have been trained.  Essentially on the same basis as our paid staff.  The training is done by our existing experienced staff for all volunteers or staff who need to handle particular types of object.  It will also cover any Health and Safety issues.  It is generally relatively informal training and people will only be trained if they are to have a role which means that the need to move stuff.  Again generally we would only allow them to move things under the supervision of an experienced member of staff until we are comfortable they know what they are doing.

Trevor Reynolds
English Heritage

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anderson, Gail K.
Sent: 28 July 2010 16:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Who is allowed to handle art?

Hello, we are working on our access to collections policy and I am wondering how other museums deal with interns and volunteers and handling art.  Do you allow it?  We are a university museum with a strong commitment to our students.

Of course, sometimes I would think that this would need to be addressed on an individual basis, as well as which pieces but I was curious if there some general policies anyone would share.

Thank you for your help.

Gail

Gail Kana Anderson
Deputy Director/Curator of Collections