Meg,

The issue really isn’t the type of blade its practice.  It takes practice to maintain the correct downward pressure and angle throughout your cut so that the blade does not jump.  You may think you are moving smoothly but you probably are not.  When I have worked with students before they have to common problems downward pressure and jumping.  A mat cutter set for foam core will work easier and faster for a newbie, but you can easily cut foam board with an xacto or an Olfa with a little pressure.  I personally don’t care for the break off blades, but you need to find what you are most comfortable with and keep your blades fresh.  (Note: for safety have somewhere to put blades rather than throwing them away in the trashcan.

Another tip for cutting foam core or mat board is that you need to have your work surface at a good level.  Avoid working on the floor, it will throw off you downward pressure and its very hard on the back.  Instead, raise a table so that you can work standing (never sit) without bending too much or having your arms to high.  This will allow you to use all of your downward pressure.  Cutting foam core is not hard but can be tiring if you are doing a lot of it.

Good Luck

Tracie Evans

Curator of Collections

Sauder Village