Meg,

Two important things in this.

First, use a self-healing mat underneath when you cut the board, otherwise there may be a nice slice on your table or counter.

Also - in terms of safety - when using any sharp tool, ALWAYS make sure that your hands and fingers are clear of the path of the blade. All too often people lay their hand and fingers down to steady the board when you are cutting and if the blade slips, for any reason, when you are pulling on it, you can get a very nasty result. I had such an accident with a utility blade when I was 21, and so speak from experience. Always anticipate what might happen because sometimes it will.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles, CA
MindingTheMuseum.com