Hello,

I am a summer intern at a historic house museum developing an interpretive landscape plan.  Staff and docent-led tours of the mansion. and carriage house are currently provided. We are at the early stages of researching and gathering interpretive material of our gardens and grounds for docent, staff, and visitor use.

The historic house itself was built in the 1830s–1840s but the formal garden was planned in 1914.  We have additional newer gardens part of our grounds—herb garden, wild flower garden, and a kitchen garden.

I would like to learn a bit about your process in developing such material and know if/how similar institutions have interpreted their landscape,and incorporated their grounds and gardens into the history of the main building, etc. I am in the early stages of compiling the information and am interested in any formats or brochures that have been created for visitor use. Any insight and/or materials you would like to share on/off the list serv would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jessie M. Noda

Museum Studies Intern

Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum