Hello everyone--

Based in part on the conversations on the small museum list-serv a few weeks
ago,  I'm working on putting together a session proposal on small museums
and issues about collecting the recent past for the AAM annual meeting.  I'd
like to move the session beyond just an overview of what individual
institutions collect to a larger discussion about how we represent American
culture today in our collections.

Some of the questions that interest me--

   - How do small museums ensure that the totality of a community is
   represented?
   - Is it even possible for small museums to keep up with collecting items
   of mass production and popular culture?  If not, then how do we decide what
   to collect?
   - How do small museums think about collecting web-based materials that
   are now a part of everyday life such as Facebook or Twitter?
   - It seems that much of the collecting at small museums focuses around
   community events and/or items of domestic use (kitchen utensils, etc).   How
   can we collect items that show not only nostalgia, but issues that arouse
   conflict and debate?
   - How can the process of collecting become more participatory?

If you're interesting in joining me as a session presenter addressing any of
these questions--or can't do that, but have thoughts on any of the above,
please email me.

Thank you!

Linda

--