I am assuming that the paintings are on canvas.  If so, they respond very quickly to fluctuations in T and RH, as they are thin.  I agree with your assessment that moving them twice may pose more risks than leaving them in acceptable RH conditions with 80 or 90 degree temperatures, particularly since you did not provide T and RH info on where they would be going.  Remember, it was not all that long ago that we did not have air conditioning, so all paintings except the most modern ones have been through temperatures like that many times.  Good luck.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors
     Decorative Objects & Folk Art

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)