Mark, depending on your specific situation, you may wish to consider high-pressure water mist (see www.marioff.com), which has been adopted for the refurbishment of the archives of the NYC Department of Environmental Protection, and was used by one of the museums in Washington, D.C.

The gas systems (e.g., FM-200 or 3M Novec 1230) require a sealed space, which may difficult to maintain over the long term.

Best regards.

Fred Grevin

From: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed Jun 16 13:44:07 2010
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] fire suppression query

Hi All,

Forgive cross postings…

Could anyone out there who recently built a new building(museum professional or architect)or renovated an existing space, and included fire suppression in that design, let me know what their decision was.

I am trying to develop a best case scenario for a retrofit system to my existing structure and need to know whether water, chemical (Halon-type materials) or inert gas systems are most prevalent/preferred. I am leaning toward inert gas for my application, but need ammunition.

Thanks for all input.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collection Manager

Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

316-978-5850

If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes). ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: