You may want to check with the National Anthropological Archives, which does a lot of scanning of their images: http://www.nmnh.si.edu/naa/ordering.htm .

This is what they are doing, taken from the above web page:

About Our Digital Images

To create the highest-quality digital images we use Kodak Eversmart Supreme and iQsmart3 scanners and a Leaf Aptus 75 digital camera back. Their high dynamic range, true optical resolution and versatility allow us to produce digital images that consistently match the sharpness, resolution and tone of our original photographs. Our workflow is entirely color-managed.

About Our Inkjet Prints

Our professional quality digital inkjet prints are produced on high quality archival inkjet paper with UltraChrome K3 pigmented inks, a combination shown to produce lasting, fade-resistant prints in accelerated light stability tests conducted by Wilhelm Imaging Research, an independent image permanence research firm.

According to Wilhelm, Epson digital inkjet prints will maintain their color fidelity for 60-200 years — exceeding the lightfastness of photographic color prints — when exhibited or stored under optimal conditions.

You can email the NAA at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or call 301.238.1313 .