So, to solve this dilemma, have the Library of the museum apply for the license.  If licensing companies accept that libraries are de-facto educational, so should be libraries that are part of a parent institution.  This is the case with libraries that are part of local and state governments, isn't it?  The governments themselves are certainly not educational institutions.  This same philosophy should apply to museums too.

Marc

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Jerrie Clarke
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Movie licensing

I learned from Swank, a movie licensing company, that museums are not exempt from paying a fee to obtain a license to show a movie but can use a non-profit rate.  It was $150 per movie 2 years ago.  Libraries on the other hand, as educational institutions can purchase a blanket license and show as many movies as they want.  I couldn't convince him that museums are educational institutions as well.  I would have to take them up with the copyright commission.  The next time we had occasion to show a movie, we partnered with the local library and used their blanket license.

Jerrie

Jerrie Clarke
Director
Sheldon Museum