Esteemed Colleagues –

We were just given a long infant’s dress made of off-white dimity, ca. 1893. Would a commercially made piece of clothing made at that time have had a label, or is there any other way of determining whether the dress was homemade? I have some suspicions because, near the bottom of the long A-line skirt, triangular pieces have been pieced in. I think these were done because the fabric was not wide enough to accommodate the design. The fact that the seams there are selvedge edges supports that conclusion.

Thanks, as always, and apologies if you have to delete this twice.

Anne

ANNE T LANE, COLLECTIONS MANAGER

THE CHARLOTTE MUSEUM OF HISTORY

WHERE HISTORY HAS A HOME

3500 Shamrock Drive

Charlotte NC 28215

tel 704-568-1774, ext 110

fax 704-566-1817

The Charlotte Museum of History

Where History Has a Home

3500 Shamrock Drive

Charlotte, NC  28215-3214

www.charlottemuseum.org

Featured Exhibits:

Charlotte Stories: Our Collections, Your Treasures

Charlotte Neighborhoods: NoDa