Janice -

No water and no windex! And never-ever use acid or naval jelly on historic iron. Do not wire brush them either. Actually with tools such as these the dirt and use may be a part of the story that you may want to keep.

Contact me off this list and email me some photos of the tools taken with a flash - include some close-up's. That will give me some ability to tell you what is safe for you to do with these.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles CA