Ok I have to step in on this.

I know that everyone loves a recipe. But you simply cannot have that mindset when dealing with artistic and historic objects.

In this instance Mandy was asking for a leather conservator because of issues with saddles. None of the condition specifics were mentioned. To take advice on the care of leather chairs and use it on saddles may work but it may also be a disaster. Saddles may use different leathers, often saddles have long histories of cleaning with saddle soap (which can cause white blooms later on), and there are also the issues of horse sweat and wear. So the chemistry of solving whatever issues are going on can be radically different than what you encounter in leather upholstery. And the aesthetic issues are certainly different too.

So what is ALWAYS best is to consult with an experienced conservator - if they cannot see the actual objects at first then good digital photos documenting the objects and their condition certainly can start the process.

I cannot begin to tell you how many treatments I have had to do over the years because someone decided that they could take a do-it-yourself approach to art and historic objects that created vastly more problems than what had originally been going on.

Should we have do-it-yourself curators, registrars, educators, directors???

I certainly think not.

Sorry about the slight rant here but I keep seeing this over and over on this list.

Now - Mandy - there are several qualified conservators in Colorado who may be able to help. Do know Matt Crawford - I believe he is in Ft. Collins. You can contact either the Denver museum of art or the Western Center for the Conservation of Fine Art in Denver (http://www.wccfa.com/) for referrals for qualified conservators near you.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles, CA