I asked a paper conservator friend your question, and this is her reply:

I'm not sure whether blood is especially susceptible to light damage but most organic objects are so it should be treated as light sensitive (and, frankly, anything on paper should be treated as light sensitive since-- you know-- paper is light sensitive).  I would recommend that he use the standard recommendations for paper objects and err on the safe side by treating this object as "light sensitive" the same as he would a watercolor or photograph.

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dan Bartlett
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Unusual Exhibit Conservation Question

Hey all:

I'm consulting with a museum that will be exhibiting a Vietnam era POW diary written in blood. Got any thoughts on conserving such an object? Light levels? Total amount of exposure? Temp and RH levels and fluctuation -- within the usual limits, or something different? Curating blood wasn't covered in collections class. When used as an ink, is it fugitive?

Thanks,

Dan

--
Dan Bartlett
Curator of Exhibits and Education

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).