Want to gain leadership capacity for both your institution and career in the cultural sector? The Cultural Resource Management Program at the University of Victoria is pleased to offer the following 5-day on-campus leadership course for professionals and volunteers working in museums, heritage sites, cultural centres and galleries and supporting arts or cultural groups.
Leadership in Cultural Organizations
HA 488T (1.5 units); on-campus offering

Leadership is a key ingredient to personal and institutional success, yet cultivating strong and visionary leadership remains one of the greatest challenges facing the cultural sector. What are the qualities and attributes of successful leaders and successful institutions? How do you assess leadership in an institution and define leadership at the individual level?

Taught by Gail Anderson, this five-day session has two parallel themes running through your conversations and coursework - personal leadership and institutional leadership. Discussions focus on contemporary challenges and issues impacting leadership in the cultural sector and explore strategies to cultivate institutional leadership and enhance personal leadership. You will have the opportunity to explore these issues for your own institution and for yourself. Participation in this course enables you to

 *   Gain a greater understanding of the range of issues impacting leadership in the cultural sector
 *   Assess and define the range of issues and challenges present in your current institution
 *   Assess personal leadership capacity
 *   Identify personal goals to enhance leadership capabilities
 *   Explore and outline strategies for your institution
 *   Benefit from one-on-one coaching on areas of leadership relative to your needs
Please note:  Participants should have prior professional or volunteer experience in a nonprofit organization as you will be referring to and reflecting on this experience throughout the duration of the course.

Dates: April 26 - 30, 2010 (with a preparatory assignment)

Please register by: March 29 (late registrations accepted if space permits)

To register in this course please visit https://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/aspnet/Course/Detail/?code=HA488T

Fee: CDN$652, including a CDN$70 materials fee (Canadian funds, credit and non-credit participation options) A CDN$170 registration deposit is required with each registration form.

Instructor

Gail Anderson, president of Gail Anderson & Associates (GA&A), helps position museums for greater relevancy and success in today's complex world. Working closely with museum trustees, directors, and staff, Gail facilitates strategic planning, organizational assessment and development, board development, and individual coaching.

With almost 30 years of experience in the museum field, Gail brings an extensive knowledge and understanding of museums, current issues, creative solutions, and diverse strategies for institutional success. Before beginning her own consulting business, she was deputy director of the Mexican Museum (San Francisco), vice president of Museum Management Consultants, chair of the graduate Department of Museum Studies at JFK University, assistant director of the Southwest Museum, and museum educator at the Museum of Northern Arizona.

Anderson has been active professionally throughout her career as a current member of The Museum Group, a past board member of the American Association of Museums, a member of the committee that produced Excellence & Equity, and past president of the Western Museums Association Board of Directors. In 1997, she received the Director's Chair award for distinguished service and leadership from the Western Museums Association. She is the author and editor of Museum Mission Statements: Building A Distinct Identity (American Association of Museums) and editor of Reinventing the Museum: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives on the Paradigm Shift (AltaMira Press, 2004). Gail continues her commitment to advancing the field through frequent speaking engagements, writing, and teaching.

What past participants have said about the instructor and the course:

*         "Best course I have ever taken. I learned so much, it will take months for me to process it all."

*         "I've had a personal paradigm shift, which will both empower me and help me to focus on my future goals."

*         "I can't even begin to tell you how much this course has helped me. It has clarified my thinking about so many things. I will be looking at issues at work and my personal life in a different way from now on."

*         "This course has had direct relevance both for myself personally and for the institution I work for. It has given me strategies for assessment, recognition and achievement of goals, it has been extremely valuable."

*         "Gail's knowledge and experience were inspiring."

*         "The course content was comprehensive and well planned. Pacing was great. Gail is a fantastic instructor. She helped establish a trusting open environment where we can all flourish."

DRAFT Day-by-Day Topics:

Day 1: Leadership challenges in the cultural sector

Day 2: Leadership issues for individuals

Day 3: Leadership issues at the institutional level

Day 4: Change/Institutional Change

Day 5: Reflections and implementation

Enrollment options allow you to choose to take courses either to enhance professional development or to build academic credit. Individual course descriptions and registration forms are available by contacting us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or by visiting our web site at https://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/aspnet/Course/Detail/?code=HA488T

For more information, please contact:

Caroline J. Posynick
Program Coordinator

Cultural Management Programs