You may want to use the wood sealant used on fences.  It does a pretty good job, though you have to reapply it almost yearly.

John
Boise, ID

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:02:06 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Ag Equipment Preservation
To: [log in to unmask]

Recently a conversation came up between myself and some of my restoration volunteers about how best to preserve all wood agricultural equipment that sit outside, which are unprotected from the elements and an almond sheller/cracker that will be put in an exhibit building that has extreme temperature and RH fluctuations throughout the year.  The building has an all metal roof, no insulation, and a heater that is rarely on.

My volunteers want to treat these wood artifacts, many of which are in poor condition with a 50/50 solution of boiled linseed oil and turpentine.  I disagree with this treatment and am hesitant to allow it to happen, but feel even if I tell them no, it will probably be done anyway (that’s a whole other story).  I’d like to get some valid information as to why this should or should not be done.  I was reading through the thread that addressed this last July, but I don’t feel it answers my questions.  Todd Stockwell mentioned using a lubricant and corrosion inhibitor such as CRC 3-36 for metal parts, but what about for wood?

Thanks,

Julie

Julie Blood

Collections and Exhibit Manager

San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum

P.O. Box 30, Lodi, CA 95241

(209) 331-2055

(209) 953-3460

www.sanjoaquinhistory.org

========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).