Good evening, MuseumLers - The Canadian Conservation Institute has a series of conservation/care notes. They are now available on-line for free. The one dealing with the care of coins, medals and medallic art is Number 9-4:

http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/publications/ccinotes/enotes-pdf/9-4_e.pdf

Regards,
Meg
Margaret E. Geiss-Mooney
Textile/Costume Conservator &
Collections Management Consultant

Some of the coins include a Washington Piece 1792, Morgan Dollar 1886, Columbian 1/2 dollars, some Japan/France 5 and 10 dollar bills. These are just a few of probably hundreds of coins she has. Most are in good condition. I did archaeology but never looked at coins.

... Where does one go, should I go to the Smithsonian in DC or is there someone in Richmond who might be able to look at some of these coins, too many to go through in a day, and give us idea on how to preserve, etc...