From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Katie Adkins
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Question about Acquisition numbers using PastPerfect

Hi, all-

I'm working on a database project for a local historical society using PastPerfect. From the PastPerfect manual, it looks like they prefer you to create acquisition numbers for objects that start with the year of the acquisition, followed by the acquisition's number, and then the object number (i.e., 2010.5.2). My problem is that the historical society has not recorded what year they received objects over the past 20 or so years, so I'm not sure how to create numbers that will be helpful when searching the database or when entering new acquisitions in the future.

I've thought of just putting "FIC" as in "Found in Collection" in place of the year, and then following with the acquisition and object number, but I'm not sure if PastPerfect requires digits in the first part of the number.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!