From: Pickering, Bob
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Coin Collection

Going to a local coin dealer is a good idea as long as they are reputable. You might check to see if there are ANA(American Numismatic Association) members or life members. Dealers can sometimes be abrupt and dismissive but don't take it personally if they are.

What are you coins stored in, now? Definitely, do not try to clean them. That often does more harm than good.  If the coins are not in any kind of individual holder, try to handle them by the edges so that you don't get fingerprints on the surfaces- that can lead to staining.

There are lots of different kinds of coin supplies for storage that you'll be able to purchase from a coin dealer.

Contact me off line, if you like.

Bob

Robert B. Pickering, PhD

Senior Curator