Hello all,

A few weeks when I was very busy a representative from BMI called and asked if we ever played music in the museum.  I told him that we do a monthly recital featuring local musicians.  I can't remember if I told him anything else.  I received a bill for a license but recalled the discussion last spring and didn't respond because we don't play music with our exhibits or special events.  This morning he called to remind me that I had to pay.  He also said that even though we allow local musicians for whom music is a hobby not a livelihood, we have to buy a license whose minimum fee is $327.

I looked in the Archive to see all that had been discussed last spring.  Dave Harvey was trying to put together a panel for AAM.  Did it happen?  Were any solutions to the harassement or making it affordable for small budgeted local museums?

I understand the need for copyright and protection of musicians, writers, filmmakers, etc.  However, if a local musician comes to the museum and plays for 1/2 hour for about 20 people, $327 or more seems a bit much.  I asked him if he was going to send my musician who is singing his own songs a check and he ignored the question.

Any new news?
Jerrie

Jerrie Clarke

Director