Jenny,
I went through a similar situation a few years ago as director of a state historic site and we all "knew" who did it.  You should report it to your immediate supervisor for approval before your next step.  If you don't have a policy in place, I'd suggest next informing the board chairman and then the sheriff's department, but you need to act quickly. The investigator will come out for an interview and will look at all of your records and evidence.   In my case, most of the stolen items were recovered and our thief, a new security guard, was arrested.  It did make the papers, but the publicity was not bad, contrary to what one might expect, it stimulated more interest and was not a negative reflection on the site.

________________________________
From: Jenny Olmsted <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, February 2, 2010 12:26:48 PM
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Theft

Hello all,

I recently discovered some items missing from our archives vault.  On the plus side, I recently inventoried these items, so I have a definite time span in which they went missing, plus detailed photos to aid in identification when/if they are recovered.   Based on alarm code entries to the building and key availability, we also have some suspicions as to who may be responsible.  However, I am not sure what our next step should be.  Report it to the police?  Report it to the Board of Directors and let them handle it?  Seek legal counsel before reporting it to the police?  I've even had it strongly suggested that we should not report it at all, but that doesn't seem right to me or the other staff member I've discussed it with.

I want to make sure that I take the correct steps here, and would be grateful both for references/resources you can guide me to, and real-life examples of dealing with theft.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Jenny

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now. ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: