What about playing a radio station? Is there fee/restriction on that?

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of David Harvey
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Frustrating experience with BMI

Hi Jerrie,

This has been an unfortunately typical type of contact by BMI in recent
years.

BMI is a music licensing firm that recovers royalty payments for songwriters
and composers who are registered with them.

Just because you have live music does not mean that you owe them money.

BMI tries to shake down venues for a blanket licence for live performance of
music regardless of the songs or even if they represent those songs.

The important thing is that the music / songs have to be covered under
current copyright - which is usually the life of the artist / creator plus
70 years. If traditional songs are being performed then they are in the
public domain and BMI has no right to ask for anything. If there are
original songs being performed by the songwriter(s) and they are not
registered with BMI, then BMI has no right to ask for payment. (the songs
could be unregistered and unpublished leaving it to the permission of the
artist only or they could also be with another performing rights
organization such as ASCAP).

Now - if musicians are performing covers of songs and those songs are
covered under copyright then yes, you may be liable to a performing rights
organization for a license fee.

Just because you are a non-profit does not remove you from this if you use
music under current copyright for special event live performances.

It would be best practice for you to keep a log of the artists - what songs
they sing - and if they are original songs written by the artist or
traditional.

In order to recover any money from you BMI would have to prove that you are
using songs that are registered with them and are covered under a current
copyright.

i understand that this became such a widespread problem that the AAM has a
FAQ posted on the issue.

I hope this helps!
Dave

PS - I have worked with songwriters and musicians for years and volunteer
for the one of largest non-profit songwriter membership organization in the
world (www.songsalive.org)

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Musemu Consultant
Los Angeles, CA