Candace,

I love it when I saw your statement that you thought that, "It seems to me it would be better off being left alone". You really know how to make a conservator smile! :-)

You and your institution need to decide if this historic organ is going to be a functional object of not. It is common for musical instruments (especially keyboards) and transportation objects to be restored to working condition as this is seen as primary to the life and interpretation of the object.

If you choose it to be functional there are several important approaches to consider. As you stated you want to protect the historic components of the organ. A friend and colleague of mine from Colonial Williamsburg, Conservator of Musical Instruments, John Watson, pioneered an approach where the original keyboard and other working parts were safely removed to be kept in collections storage and reproduction works were installed to make the instrument playable. This approach was taken due to the high frequency of musical programs there. In instances of far less usage then it may be safe to use the original components if they are found to be in excellent condition and are closely monitored. It is far better for a conservator to do the assessment and make the recommendations because restorers always want to restore and can be less sensitive to the preservation issues of an historic artifact.

If the organ will not be used then there is really no need for any kind of restoration or conservation as long as the organ is in good condition and appears to be stable.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles, CA