Dear Friends and Supporters of The Cold War Museum,

I have great news to share with you. On December 1, the Museum signed a lease with Vint Hill (www.vinthill.com) for a physical facility. Below is our formal press release that was sent out on December 11. Now that we have a physical home for the museum, I need your financial support to assist the museum as we move forward.

I would like to invite you to join me in making a year-end, tax-deductible donations to the museum, a 501c(3) non-profit organization. Donations can be made by check or money order to The Cold War Museum, P.O. Box 178, Fairfax, VA 22038, or online at www.coldwar.org/museum/contributions.html through "GuideStar," "Just Give," or "Paypal." Contributions can also be made through the Combined Federal Campaign. The museum's CFC # is 12524.

Thank you for your continued help and support.

 Happy Holidays,

Gary

PSA FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, PLEASE

THE COLD WAR MUSEUM TO LOCATE AT VINT HILL

VINT HILL, VA: December 11, 2009- Francis Gary Powers, Jr., the Founder of The Cold War Museum (www.coldwar.org), announced today that the museum had found a physical home. The Cold War Museum will lease a modest size two story building and secure storage facility at Vint Hill, located in Fauquier County, Virginia,  less than 30 miles from Washington Dulles International Airport. The lease was signed on December 1, 2009 with the Vint Hill Economic Development Authority (www.vinthill.com), the owner of the 695-acre former US Army communications base.

Powers is the son of Francis Gary Powers, a CIA pilot whose U-2 spy plane was shot down over the Soviet Union in May 1960. The senior Powers was held in Soviet custody until 1962, when he was traded for Rudolph Abel, a Soviet KGB agent who had been captured by the United States.

According to Francis Gary Powers, Jr., "We are excited about our new home and look forward to opening the museum to the public in 2010. We have been seeking a location for The museum for several years in which to display our unique collections of international Cold War related artifacts we have collected." The Cold War Museum will fill a substantial void in the interpretation of post-WWII history. The Museum's goal of educating current and future generations about this critical period in international relations seeks to fulfill one of the most important tasks of the study of history. The museum will provide a tangible setting to explore this topic within historical contexts.

According to Powers, "We are currently looking for volunteers and other interested parties to assist with the work that needs to be done. Most importantly, now that we have a physical location, we are looking for individuals that would like to make a year-end tax deductible donation that will help facilitate our ongoing efforts to educate future generations and preserve Cold War history."

Mr. Edwin "Ike" Broaddus, Chairman for Vint Hill EDA said, "We are pleased to offer The Cold War Museum a home. It is highly appropriate for the museum to locate at Vint Hill, the former Vint Hill Farms Station used during the Cold War, by the National Security Agency, the Central Intelligence Agency, and the US Army to safeguard the United States against a surprise nuclear attack."  Vint Hill is part of The Journey Through Hallowed Ground national heritage area and in close proximity to the Manassas National Battlefield Park, the National Museum of the Marine Corps and the historic towns of Leesburg, Manassas and Warrenton, Virginia, existing major tourist destinations.

In addition to offering the Museum nine months of free storage space for its collection of unique and rare Cold War artifacts, the Vint Hill EDA will contribute $50,000 for building renovations. The Fauquier County Industrial Development Authority (FCIDA) agreed to match the $50,000 provided by the Vint Hill EDA. "This $100,000 contribution will not only enable the Museum to house, care for, and archive its collection, but more importantly will be used to renovate a 2000 sq ft building for museum use," Powers said. Upon completion in 2010, the Cold War Museum will use this modest sized space to exhibit key items from its collection, open a reference research library, operate a gift store, and run day to day museum operations. Ultimately, the Museum plans to construct a larger facility to house its artifacts, reference library, education center and operations.

Francis Gary Powers, Jr. - Founder
The Cold War Museum
P.O. Box 178 - Fairfax, VA 22038
P-(703) 273-2381 / F-(703) 273-4903
www.coldwar.org / [log in to unmask]

Make your tax-deductible
year-end contribution
online

» UNSUBSCRIBE
Use this link to
unsubscribe to this
newsletter

» SUBSCRIBE
Was this year end update forwarded to you? Use
the link below to start
receiving your own copy
of The Cold War Times®
Subscribe

MISSION: The Cold War Museum is dedicated to education, preservation, and research on the global ideological and political confrontations between East and West from the end of World War II to the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

This email was sent to [log in to unmask] from The Cold War Museum. For more information about the Museum, visit www.coldwar.org.