Let me preface my comments by disclosing that I am a conservator and have spent my entire career fostering maximum preservation of objects.  All museum objects are essentially held for educational purposes.  Each one has what I will call an "educational life" for purposes of this discussion, which is the product of their length of survival and their educational value.  That educational life may be over the very long term, such as rare books held in a library that are "used" only once or twice a century, and the remainder of the time are held in preservation conditions.  This would be considered "long and low" - long length of survival and low educational value.  Another object may be used daily on tours of schoolchildren.  This object will deteriorate more quickly and likely will have a much shorter life.  This object would be "short and high" - short length of survival and high educational value.  All objects fit somewhere in this spectrum of length of survival and educational value.  With a few exceptions, it is generally not possible to have "long and high" - long length of survival and high educational value.  From this perspective, it is not unethical or irresponsible to choose high educational value over long length of survival.  The key word here is CHOOSE.  The decision must be made consciously upon careful consideration of all the factors, including but not limited to rarity, condition, likely rate of deterioration, the presence of a duplicate object, and the philosophy of the institution.  To NOT make a carefully reasoned choice is irresponsible and unethical in my opinion.  To make a thoughtful choice to have a short life and high educational value IS responsible and ethical.  Of course, the institution is still under obligation to provide reasonable preservation efforts for high educational value objects - they should not simply be abandoned to deterioration.  Perhaps thinking of objects in terms of their educational life will remove some of the conflict and guilt that many people in the museum profession feel?

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors
     Decorative Objects & Folk Art

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)