I agree with Jerry on all points. Put relevant information on your CV (believe it or not, we know when you are padding). Length isn’t an issue if it give us a good idea of your education and experience. One more note on cover letters. I’m noticing more and more that applicants don’t know the purpose of a cover letter. It is not to reiterate your resume. It is your opportunity to sell yourself, talk about things that may not be easily put into the format of a CV, demonstrate your communication skills, convey your excitement for the opportunity to apply for the position at the particular institution. Just don’t say you’re excited, tell the reviewer why in specific terms.  A cover letter isn’t just a pro forma piece of paper, people read it and most of them want to see something that sets you apart from the masses.

Heidi

Heidi Campbell-Shoaf

Executive Director

Historical Society of Frederick County