We're seeking the input and advice of museum folks about a new book we're planning...

There are books about how to use Twitter, but none about how best museums and galleries, large and small, can – and are – using Twitter to involve their very diverse communities. We hope our forthcoming book will remedy this.

We see it as having  two parts: How To Do It and Twitter In Use (Case Studies). We plan that the book will be available as a paperback, an eBook, and - importantly - have a linked site for updates between revised editions.

An integral part of the development of the book is interaction with Twitter users throughout the world – seeking your advice, experience, ideas – and practical input – to make Twitter for Museums a useful, exciting, stimulating resource.

We'd really welcome your input at this stage on: What topics should the book cover? What are the key issues and questions museums using Twitter need to address? We’ve set out our initial thoughts below. If you'd like to question these, or add your own suggestions, you can do so here: http://www.museumsetc.com/?p=1330

Why use Twitter?
Having a policy and being clear about your aims
What benefits should you expect?
What about the time involved?
What about protecting the museum’s image and “controlling” content?
Who should tweet?
Using  multiple Twitter accounts
Setting up Twitter: what to do and what not to do
What to tweet about
Useful third party applications
Adding images, audio and video
Linking Twitter to other social media platforms
How best to involve your communities: local, national, international, children, researchers etc
Museum Case Studies
Useful resources

If you’re interested in sharing your experience by contributing to Twitter for Museums and:
writing one or more sections
or (co)editing
or writing an article/essay
please let us know and we’ll send you more information.

Thanks in advance for your input!

And if you'd like to hear from us as the book takes shape, preview draft chapters etc, follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/museumsetc

Graeme Farnell
MuseumsEtc