From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">elizabeth walton
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Archival Storage Question

Depending on size, you may be able to do well with basic plastic pallets from suppliers like McMaster Carr or Uline, since you will not have to pay for labor for assembly, they may also have half size plastic ones if space is an issue. They sell for $20-30 each and nest for easy storage when not full. They are also polyethylene so are much less of an offgassing issue.

For plywood or to smooth the surface of the plastic pallets, coroplast gives two layers of smooth plastic and an air layer in between, giving some degree of a vapor barrier as well as smooth surface that protects the bindings from scrapes and scratches. It can also be bought from commercial vendors at very low cost, some (I know for sure that Acorn in Southern CA)  will cut it to size before delivery for very little additional cost.

Elizabeth Walton
www.waltonmuseumservices.com