Good evening, Museum-Ls - You need a vapor/moisture barrier between the plywood and the volumes. Something that will not allow any vapor/moisture to pass thru (and therefore no acidic contamination). My favorite affordable solution is heavy duty aluminum foil from Costco. Any seaming necessary is accomplished via folding the edges over twice.
Regards,
Meg
Margaret E. Geiss-Mooney
Textile/Costume Conservator &
Collections Management Consultant

...to store large bound newspaper publications.  We had considered pallets but instead are opting for 4X4 covered with plywood.  I know there should be a barrier between the plywood and the volumes. I am hoping for suggestions from the list....