Have you thought about Omeka (www.omeka.org)? It's Open Source and, if you're already using PastPerfect, you can export from PastPerfect and import to your Omeka database.

You also might try Collective Access (http://www.collectiveaccess.org/).  I'm not sure about the import capabilities, but it's another nice FOSS possibility.

--Kaia

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM, James Donaldson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
We are currently in the process of converting our objects over to ehive (www.ehive.com), run by the people who make Vernon. Worth a look if they're wanting something cost effective as it has a scalable pricing system.

James

-- James Donaldson
Museum Student Coordinator, R.D. Milns Antiquities Museum
Room 327, Level 3, Building 9, UQ St Lucia Campus

2009/10/23 Deb Barker <[log in to unmask]>

Check out College Station TX’s HOLD project which uses Laserfiche 8.

Deborah Barker

Old Depot Museum

Ottawa KS

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carolyn Weber
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] searchable database

Hello all,

Several history-oriented groups/organizations in our town are considering putting a searchable database online that will contain each entity's collections.

We are currently researching PastPerfect online, but would like to know about any other cooperative efforts on programs like this that have been done elsewhere.

Any information about the success, or failure, of such endeavors would be helpful.

Thank you!