Hi Jennifer,
There are some good OpenSource project management applications.
One is ProjectPier (http://www.projectpier.org/).  It's not the prettiest thing on the planet, but it is easy to install, and has a lot of features.

For some other options, see:
Top 20 Project Management Tools http://garmahis.com/reviews/top-project-management-tools/
Need a Basecamp Alternative? http://pm-sherpa.com/features/basecamp-alternatives/#alternatives

If you only need something simple, Google Apps (using sites/docs) can also work, especially with a plugin that makes Gantt charts from a shared spreadsheet (see http://www.gganttic.com/).

Kaia

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 5:54 AM, Jennifer Madden <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello All:

I am interested in investigating project management software for helping us with the development of exhibitions. This would be used by staff members, as well as off-site consultants. We are using different platforms, so my guess is that we will want something web-based. I started looking around, but am overwhelmed at the choices. I would prefer something open source, or a very inexpensive monthly fee. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,
Jennifer Madden

Jennifer Y. Madden
Director of Collections & Exhibitions