Straw in Museums, yes the conservators are sort of right , but it
depends on the question they were asked.  Also a lot of conservators
don't get out enough, I should know being one for the last 30 odd years.

Think Integrated Pest Management.  Is there a problem, get some straw
and straw dust out of the mattress and look under a microscope.  If
there are bugs are they harmful or benign?  (There is a schools project
just in this).

If the bugs are nasty, get rid of them.  Put the mattress in a plastic
bag, freeze for a week or two, allow to defrost, Bob's your uncle,
problem solved. Keep it dry. Conservation is not rocket science.

John Greenwood

Senior lecturer, Cultural heritage Conservation, University of Canberra,
Australia.