Yes, the open source collections database program is called Collective
Access.  www.collectiveaccess.org  It may be just the thing.

There is also a program called the Museum Archive Software Project (
http://www.musarch.com/), which has a free version, and "free with purchase"
(of their book) expanded version.

Kaia