This is more a tip for following up.  I’m horrible with names so I always try to find some quiet time to look through all the business cards I got that day and on the back of them I write where I was when I met the person (evening event, tour, session, etc) and what conversation topics we discussed.  I also try to make notes on if a promised to email them some information (as someone else noted it is important to follow through).

It comes in handy months, to years, after the conference when something comes up and you think, “Oh, I talked to someone at the conference who knew about that.  What was their name and where were they from?“  Then all you have to do is flip through your business cards and find it.

In addition, it can be very helpful if someone else from your museum, or at least from your state, is going particularly if they have been before and they can introduce you to a lot of people.  Along the same lines if there is anyone you have a strong connection to virtually (say through this list), find out if they are going and make plans ahead of time to meet them in person (or at least exchange phone numbers so you can make arrangements to meet once you are at the conference).

Finally, at a lot of conference people will have extra ribbons on their nametags denoting something about them (presenter, board member, officer, first-time attendee, etc).  Use those as a jumping off point for your conversation.  “I see you’re presenting. . .what topic, when, where? What position are you on the board?  Do you enjoy being an officer?  Oh, it’s your first time as well, are you feeling as overwhelmed as I am?!”

Heather Marie Wells
Collections Assistant/Podcast Producer
Shiloh Museum of Ozark History
Springdale, AR 72764