The Kern County Museum in Bakersfield generously supported all such requests for years, to include gift baskets at certain events with store merchandise, and always with passes for general admission, or sometimes special events with unlimited attendance.  We found very few of the passes were ever used, however the good will with the schools and organizations seemed valuable, given the nice thank you letters we received.

As a result of the experiment, we designed and printed full color business card size "passes" good for one free regular admission, not good for special events.  These were really inexpensive off the Internet.  They match our brochure, and we pop that with two to four passes in the mail to anyone asking for a donation.  On the back is a line where we put the name of the organization or event getting the passes.  That way we can track which ones come back. We require a written request which we save with a notation on the request as to how many passes were sent and when.  We use the same pass for our membership levels which get guest passes as part of the benefits package.  We also printed a pass good for 4, but this is not really necessary and the multiple passes seem like more.

The donated passes go out with a form letter wishing the group well with their fundraiser and stating the value at the number of tickets X our adult admission prices.  This makes us feel like a supporter of the community, it is easy to assign to a volunteer or hourly employee, and it's much quicker than saying "no".  Few passes are redeemed, so the actual cost is more in the mailing.  You could require people to pick them up in your store in the hopes it exposed one new person to your shopping experience, but in our experience, that left  envelopes collecting dust and someone had to call and ask if anyone was coming to get the item. Volunteers are often running these raffles, so overall we figured a positive and quick response from us was a marketing plus worth the reduced expense in time and materials.

Carola Rupert Enriquez
Museum Consultant
Retired Director, Kern County Museum
7500 Yuma Way