Here are a few other things that can affect scanning success with any barcode font:

·         The first and last character of a valid barcode must be an asterisk (also printed in the barcode font).  The scanner only records the characters in between, but if the asterisks are missing it won’t respond at all.

·         The point size that you use can sometimes affect scanning reliability.  If the code won’t scan at the current point size, adjust the font size up a point or two at a time and try again.

·         Paper of card stock that is not smooth-surfaced may not be readable

·         Print that is not clean-edged may not be readable.

If no amount of troubleshooting resolves the issue with your current font, we have had good luck with these fonts, which are one relatively inexpensive:

http://www.carolinabarcode.com/

As of this morning, they were offering single-user licenses for $29 and site licenses for $199.

---

Melissa C. Winans, Senior LAN Administrator

Texas Natural Science Center, University of Texas at Austin

10100 Burnet Rd, Bldg 122, Austin, Texas, 78758-4445

Phone: 512-232-4263, Fax: 512-471-6090

http://www.texasnaturalsciencecenter.org/