I like the book, "Registration Methods for the Small Museum," by Daniel Reibel.  Its fairly short and easy to read and it discusses the issues you wrote about.

Suzanne

-----Original Message-----
From: Angela Hoover <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, Sep 2, 2009 11:53 am
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Small Museum Registration Methods

Does anyone know of any resources (books, articles, websites) that deal with
creating a numbering system for an already existing museum?

I recently took a job as a catologuer at a museum that has ~5000 items in its
collection. They used Filemaker Pro to record information on each item, but the
only two pieces of information that were consistently recorded were the item's
country of origin and the object name. Half of the items have donor names and
dates, while the other half do not.

The museum just obtained PastPerfect software, and I'm at a loss for how to
begin entering these items! How do I accession these items (especially those
that have no donation date), and what kind of numbering system is ideal for this
situation?

Thanks in advance!

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ .
You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one
line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message
should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).