I posted the original article and stand with Jay and Julia on this one, strongly. If you search the archives, I was an old fogey who pshawed such things less than a year ago. I already had too much technology.

What did I know? I now text and tweet on my phone, have a Facebook page where I was found by my childhood BFF in no time flat without looking, Skype (with family and the aforesaid BFF), and just uploaded my first YouTube videos over the weekend (the littlest grandchild has started tap and ballet classes, and I wanted to share with the distance grandma). I recently had invitations to LinkedIn I had to put in abeyance because I honestly don't have any more time. I'm Yahoogrouping, have multiple email accounts and, oh, by the way, did I mention I have a job?

I'm considering unsubbing from some of the email newsletters I get from online news media because I get the news more timely and in an easier fashion to manage (especially now that I use TweetDeck--a godsend in managing types of tweets). I'm following 526 people/entities and being followed by 513, only a portion of which are one and the same. Working in a high-rise, I have breaking news come to my phone, and it clearly helps, working in a major metropolis. I even tweeted my vacation in Hawaii, and that was an absolute hoot. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Just this weekend, my 13-year old grandson, whom I was babysitting, signed up for a Twitter account on his laptop, and I had to quick like a bunny teach him how to block porno spammers and advised his mom to have his tweets come to her cell phone as a way of monitoring him. I taught another coworker how to use Twitter last week, and helped him with some follow-up today. Frankly, I could probably teach a class on this.

I find there are days, when I think of the "old school" technologies like email and web pages, that I struggle to keep up. Tons of Facebook applications I don't yet understand, but continue to try. In just a short period of time, a good number of my now late, ex-husband's nieces and nephews found me on Facebook (more than 20 years after he and I split) and share lots of goodies with me. I've become the cool auntie at 56 years of age.

Additionally, I look for opportunities on Facebook to be a Fan with entities who have a Facebook presence. It allows me to see things more readily and puts them where I don't really have to dig. It makes it easier for me to appreciate them all the more.

I recently heard, in a podcast from Twooting.com (a primer source that teaches you about Twitter) that LinkedIn is your office, Facebook is your backyard barbeque, and Twitter is your cocktail party. Networking in this fashion allows you to connect more readily with countless individuals, which is essential if you're trying to market something like a museum, folks. Links to pictures, events like Duke Reilly, contests and mentioning things that are happening at your institution are all great ways to put yourselves out where the people are, and frankly they are on social media. I can't tell you how often I retweet (RT) events that museums are having so as to help to encourage others to partake.

Good lord, I am knee deep in social media, and I never thought it would be so. Thought it was like video games or something (too addicting). But then so, too, is social media.

You can get on the parade with the rest of the world, or you can stay in one place and pull up the covers. The parade will just pass you by and go off to institutions that do connect with potential clientele. It's as simple as that.

Looking for a Job in the Arts?

Tweetcha Later!
https://twitter.com/Indigo_Nights