For the past few years, my organization has been planning to develop an ambitious ($200M+) museum in our city. We have acquired the land, but as you all know, the economy has been difficult, and the decision was made to slow the project down.

The land we acquired has buildings with tenants, and most of these tenants are leaving soon, which will leave the properties vacant. Because we are located in an blighted urban area, vacant buildings can lead to a lot of problems.

Our board is now considering a proposal to turn some of the buildings into an interim museum. The proposal argues that such a space will help develop the tourist market and donor base for the future, permanent museum (as well as develop organizational expertise).

The Board's main concerns are:

1) Putting money into buildings that will eventually be torn down

2) That a smaller, interim effort will more likely disappoint visitors than whet their appetite for the larger, permanent museum.

3) That anyone who donates to the interim museum won't donate again to the permanent one. (My organization does not have much experience with fundraising.)

I have been asked to research examples of museums that took similar approaches. In particular, what might I say to the board about the donor cultivation opportunities of this approach? Fundraising isn't my area, but it is my understanding that nonprofits often return to the same donors again and again over time. Is there any research data on this?

Thank you all for any help you can provide.