I doubt there is one simple answer, The questions I think of are:
How strong is the string (or wire or whatever is used to hold them together)? If it is strong, you can more easily keep  the weight off the feathers.
Are the feathers able to lie flat naturally or are they floofy (technical term :D ) and would get squished if they are lying on a flat surface?
How are they attached to the string?
Is it a bright fadeable color?
Is there insect damage that would cause bits to fall off?

Based on these answers, should it be displayed horizontally or vertically? Flat or projected a little off the surface?

-Elizabeth Walton
Collections Management Consultant