Date:    Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:47:50 -0700
From:    Shelley Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Plan for moving a collection of photographs

Hello everyone,

If possible, I would like some advice from the list.  I am in charge of drafting a plan to move a large collection of photographs that includes all types of photographic collections including oversize, glass plate negatives, and nitrate film.  We are currently in the process of packing some of the collections via staff, volunteer, and intern assistance.  We will be moving the collection into a climate controlled building in the interim before our new museum building is built, so there will be some time to complete projects inside of this temporary building.

I am working on a plan with the curator and will be assessing the collections in the next couple weeks.  Are there any suggestions for this type of project to keep in mind?

For a little background, I have some experience with re-housing a smaller collection of photographs and moving large collections of fine art, ethnographic, archaeological artifacts, but would like to know if anyone has had direct experience with moving a collection of photographs of this nature.  There will be funding to purchase newer storage cabinets for this collection later in the move process, however, some of the items are now stored in archival file folders but in filing cabinets.  This part of the collection will be moved inside their cabinets, but of course we will pad the insides and wrap the cabinets for storage.  Other photographs that are already packed in sleeves and stored in the Gaylord flip top file boxes will be boxed up and stacked on pallets to be moved, preferably collection by collection with some pallets separated out into processing and cataloging projects for the down time.

Working on the time-line, I anticipate that I will have at least a little over two months to make sure that the collections get organized and figured out what is further along in the cataloging process for this collection of about 800,000 photographic materials.  Then there will be another couple months to pack before we need to be out of the current building by the end of this year.  Is this enough time for a collection of this size?

If there is anyone on the list who would be willing to share any experiences or any type of a plan, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Shelley
 Shelley Howe
Assistant Registrar, Photograph Dept.