Dear Listers,

I’m working on a project researching slave quarter furnishings and other furniture items (i.e. daily use furniture like beds, chairs, tables, etc.) used by enslaved workers in America.  I’m hoping to reference some surviving examples, but am not sure which collections might have them.  Does anyone have, or know of, any objects that might fit the bill?

I would also be interested in hearing about any 17th or mid-19th century historic sites that have particularly good “living history” type slave life interpretations.  I’m all set for 18th century examples!

Many thanks in advance.  You may respond to the list or contact me directly via the e-mail address below.

Catherine

Catherine E. Dean

Curator of Collections

Preservation Virginia