A question for registrars, collections managers, or curators:

Locust Grove is a historic house museum, and we’re revising our Collections Policy. We’ve long made a distinction between Permanent Collection and Teaching Collection; but we are unsure how to categorize reproductions used in the House itself. These reproductions include modern textiles such as bed coverings, reproduction window blinds, and a few reproduction chairs for visitors to sit in.  We intend to keep them on display in the long term, and the textiles particularly will require care such as cleaning and repair in the future, yet they are not period pieces. Do these count as nothing in collections terms, or as teaching objects? Or as actual collections pieces?

We’d be grateful for your thoughts.

Carol Ely

Executive Director

Historic Locust Grove