Internship NYC Police Museum

The NYC Police Museum is offering internships on an ongoing basis to qualified students interested in all aspects of collections management and registration.  Currently the Museum is in the process of reassessing its collection and has begun a comprehensive plan to catalogue, digitize, and re-house over 3,500 “priority items”.   The Museum’s collection dates as far back as the 1700s and contains a variety of objects: books, weapons, photos, and textiles.

The Museum will be progressively inventorying, cataloguing, digitizing and re-housing its collection in accordance with current museum standards and practices.  The Museum uses the online database TMS (The Museum System).  It is our goal to make the collections as accessible as possible to the public both on site and remotely via the internet.  In order to do this all of the objects must be identified, marked, catalogued, photographed, and properly re-housed and entered into TMS.  Additionally, the Museum is undergoing considerable construction, which needs constant monitoring.  Assistance is necessary with regards to the movement of objects and environmental controls.

This is a “hands-on” internship where students will be gaining practical and valuable skills for a future career in the museum profession.  It is our goal to provide a comfortable educational environment for the right intern to further develop their professional experiences.  Interns will play a vital role in helping the museum to achieve its goals.

I am looking for someone who is interested in assisting on all aspect of collections management and registration and will actively participate in the daily operations within this position. I am willing to work with interns to develop projects based on their individual needs and interests for example: textiles, photographs, data entry.  The number of interns, their class requirements, and their scheduling needs will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

I am looking for someone who is organized, reliable, hard-working, and who possess both computer skills and previous museum experience.  Lastly, each candidate must provide at least three references.

Please send a resume to:

Beth Spinelli

Registrar

New York City Police Museum