Dear Erica,
I am writing in response to your research question of how NAGPRA has
affected museums. I am the NAGPRA Liaison at Colorado Historical Society
and in our case, I can sincerely say that NAGPRA has had a positive
effect on our museum. We have conducted more than 130 consultations with
over 50 tribes in our NAGPRA compliance efforts. We have repatriated
more than 700 Native American individuals and 1900 associated funerary
objects. All of this work has resulted in the establishment of strong,
positive working relationships with tribes. In the course of our
consultations and visits by tribal representatives, we have learned a
great deal about our ethnographic and archaeological collections and
about all of the tribes who have a legacy of occupation in what is now
known as the State of Colorado. This allows us to tell the stories of
objects and tribal communities more completely and appropriately in
exhibits. We have been able to correct our information about objects.
For example, some objects came into our collecions incorrectly
identified as one thing, when in fact, the objects were something else,
which we learned from tribal representatives. In addition, since 1993,
we have had an American Indian Advisiory Committee who works with us in
the development of exhibits and programs (they originally advised on
NAGPRA) so that the general public may receive accurate and relevant
information about Native Americans. Our NAGPRA compliance efforts have
also allowed us to develop strong partnerships with other state agenices
and organizations such as the Colorado Commission of Indian Affairs,
the Colorado Department of Natural Resources, the Native American Rights
Fund and the Mayor's Office of Human Rights and Community Relations.
If I can be of further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me.
Sheila Goff
NAGPRA Liaison
Colorado Historical Society
1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203