Hello,

First, I'd like to thank everyone for the helpful responses thus far.
Todd, the pieces are no longer being used; we would like to preserve
them. They were donated by a current Board Member in late 2007 while the
museum was in between curators. Between the donation and my arrival, a
little over a year passed. So, essentially, they were hauled out here
and have been in the same spot ever since. We have just gone through an
upheaval in leadership, and now the donor would like to have the
situation earnestly addressed. I'm not sure what condition these pieces
were in before being brought to sit out here, but surely they were
better off where they were previously (in his storage shed.)
Anyhow...we do have a gravel pad near the barn which gives us a space
for an open sided shed. Are there many special concerns with a gravel
floor surface?

Thanks for your expertise!

Lesley Poling

Curator

Heritage Village Museum

Are these pieces still being used during the growing season?  Or are you
just trying to preserve them?

        As per other replies, tarps are often the worst scenario to trap
moisture.  Air circulation is the key.  Farm equipment kept under open
sided sheds can survive quite well for decades if the building openings
are away from the prevailing wind and light and air can circulate.  The
floor surface is also a big factor.  Moisture from the floor surface
(whatever it is) and the chemistry of the soil will have a big effect on
the machinery sitting above it over time.

        Rather than WD-40, an industrial penetrating lubricant and
corrosion inhibitor such as CRC 3-36 will be much more effective if
re-applied regularly to equipment sitting outside.  The CRC line
includes a wide range of corrosion inhibitor products varying in
viscosity and protective qualities.  Several are designed for the
protection of heavy equipment that is going to sit outside indefinitely,
including some products with military specs.  Vehicle conservator
Malcolm Collum, formerly with The Henry Ford and now with the
Smithsonian's National Air & Space Museum, recommended CRC products and
has written about their long-term use in museum collections.

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/search_results.aspx
<http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/search_results.aspx>

        CRC 3-36 can be purchased from hardware wholesaler such as
grainger.com <http://grainger.com/> .

Todd Stockwell

Curator of Agriculture, Industry and Technology

Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites

650 W. Washington Street

Indianapolis, Indiana  46204-2725

(317) 232-8270