I have some experience with the tarping system described, including a "hands on" following the instructions at http://www.railwaypreservation.com/page3.html as part of a demonstration at an ARM convention.  I have two railroad cars currently under tarps.

Thoughts:

Tarps are only for storage, not for display.  Tarps have problems.

They are heavy and can damage objects. there needs to be framing around fragile parts to protect them

Tarps trap moisture. they must have allowence for ventilation.  For railroad cars we keep the ends and bottoms open to allow the cars to breath

Tarps can move in the wind. they must be security attached to prevent flapping and as a result beating on the (un) "protected" object.

The object must be stabilized before being tarped.

The object must be monitored for pests. You must treat for pests.

We use tarps for un-restored objects - restored objects will suffer under tarps.

Randy Hees

Patterson House at Ardenwood Farm

City of Fremont

Also, www.spcrr.org