Hi, Margaret;

I accompanied an artefact for an international loan last year.  One of the conditions of the loan, written into the contract, was that we made all the shipping arrangements, and the borrower cover all the costs (we had pretty close estimates of what all the costs would be at the time of signing the contract, but did have a provisions to cover fuel surcharges, etc.).  Would a similar arrangement work for your situation?

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Esplanade Museum
401 First Street SE
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 8W2
Tel: (403) 502-8587

>>> "Margaret M. Tamulonis" <[log in to unmask]> 7/27/2009 3:31 PM >>>
Hello colleagues--

I have a request from the descendants of a particular Native American
family for the loan of an item from our collection to be shown during
a family meeting.  With some requirements, I am willing to accommodate
their request (I feel like this is an exceptional case).  This is not
a repatriation, just a way of connecting family and objects and
Museum.  But it would require travel (it could be hand carried by a
Museum courier, which is the best way I can think of--that way someone
can be with the object).

Has anyone had success in finding funding to cover this sort of
expense?  It is, of course, a short time frame. And I don't have the
budget for it..

Thanks for any advice!

Margaret
--
Margaret Tamulonis
Manager, Collections and Exhibitions

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the
addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material.  Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or
the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete or destroy this message and any copies