Thanks to friend Barbara Bockrath of the Oliver Miller Homestead in PA. for this article... scroll on down.

The following is a quotation from William "Wild Willy" Frankfort's column
_The Road Less Traveled_ in the "Union Finley Messenger", July 2009,
a newspaper printed in the suburbs just south of Pittsburgh, PA.
......... F.Y.I.

"It seems that our [Penna] elected officials have seen fit to discontinue
history and culture in these, "Tough economic times".  You may ask,
"What does he mean discontinuing?"  I am writing about the conspiracy to
keep you all glued to the television.

Sounds weird doesn't it?  Let me explain.  In the last few months, our elected
officials have seen fit to close more than 30 percent of the state and federally
run historic sites and historic sites and parks administered by the National Parks
Service.  this means that many smaller museums are being closed and their
artifacts are being sent to other larger museums.

What happens to those displays and artifacts?  Nothing.  They are stored because
there is nowhere to display them or they are sold off.  This means that small, local
museums or historic sites may never open again.  They just put up the gate,
lock it, and that's that.  We can write all the letters we want and it does no good
because  the money  is needed for "stimulus".

This isn't all going to happen this year.  Some sites have money budgeted till the
end of this year, but sure as shootin' they will close when the money runs out.
What is ironic and historically a fact is, in "tough economic times" like these historic
sites and museums do well.   Think about it: the admission fees are cheap, and it is
a fun, inexpensive day for those of us who have children.

What I do see is how much money was spent to inform us of the change over to the
new digital television system.  Let's face it, as our less expensive parks and historic
venues close, we're gonna need all the "free" television we can get.  Now we can sit
back and watch our elected officials on the tube tell us how well they are doing fixing
the economy.   And does it seem that our governor and President are getting a heck
of a lot of more air time lately?

It seems to me, we are just where they want us to be.  Scared and waiting to hear
how much better we are for what they are doing for us.  All in beautiful, high-definition
digital glory.

OK, I'm done.  That's my conspiracy theory:  the government wants us to be in front
of the tube or at work.  But, if they start closing amusement parks, sports franchises
and movie theaters, you will know my theories are correct.

I'll see you at the local [grocery] market.  Cause outdoors, culture and history are
closed till further notice in Pennsylvania."

As I went down my contact list of people involved with history or culture in some way, it made me realize how powerful a medium email can be. Please send this article on to whoever you think could use it. Cite it. Maybe it will be a wake up call for some who have grown complacent about supporting their local museums, historic sites and libraries. Monetary support is good, but live warm volunteers and people to help in leading these organizations are just as important.

Jane Oakes

If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
You're like a leaf that doesn't even know it's part of a tree.
(Michael Crichton)